Friday, March 18, 2011

Granola Bars



After I made the almond butter, I used it to make granola bars.  This was my first attempt and I am pleasantly pleased with the end result.  I googled "homemade granola bars" and took a few ingredients from each recipe.  I plan to keep tweaking the recipe until they are absolutely, positively delicious.  The kids and my husband said they were good enough to share now, so here is how I made them:

Granola Bars

2 1/2 cups rolled oats (not quick cook oats)
1 cup mini chocolate chips
1/3 + 1/4 cup honey (you could use 2 different sweetners for more flavor)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 pkg (6 oz) dried cherries, chopped
1 cup almond butter

Get a big bowl and mixed all these ingredients together.  After they are thoroughly mixed, line a 9" x 13" pan with parchment paper.  Press the mixture into the baking pan until the mixture is evenly distributed throughout the pan and tightly packed. (Mine didn't quite reach the edges on all sides, but I didn't worry about it. It just made for a couple of odd shaped bars when I was cutting them out.)
Bake at 325 for 25 minutes.  Remove from oven, cool in the freezer until the bars are firm.  Lift the parchment paper out of the pan, remove, and cut into bars.  I think it made about 20 bars.  I forgot to count last night and now there are only 13 left. :-)
Store bars in an airtight container.  I put them in those little ziploc snack bags.  Bars may be frozen for up to a month and thawed as needed.

If you try this recipe and tweak it some, please let me know so I can try your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment