Thursday, February 24, 2011

Breakfast

I hate breakfast!  I hate thinking of what to make, making it, eating it, cleaning up after it.  I just hate it!  BUT, I think it's important for my kids to eat it.  Lately they have been "forgetting" to eat breakfast, so I thought I should make something so they can't forget.  Today I made a breakfast casserole and it was pretty good.

 


Easy Hash Brown and Sausage Casserole

1 lb. mild or hot ground pork sausage (I used mild)
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 1/2 cups frozen cubed hash browns (do not thaw)
5 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups (8 oz) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (I used mild cheddar, and only about a cup)
1 3/4 cups milk
1 cup all-purpose baking mix
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
Garnish: fresh parsley sprigs (I skipped this step)

Preheat oven to 350.  Brown sausage with onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until meat crumbles.  Stir in hash browns, and cook, stirring occasionally, until sausage is no longer pink and potatoes are lightly browned.  Drain mixture on paper towels; spoon into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
Whisk together eggs and remaining ingredients; pour evenly over sausage mixture, stirring well.  Bake, uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Remove from oven, and let stand 5 minutes.  Garnish, if desired.

1 comment: